Democratic Party Weekly Update
Monday, September 14, 2020
We have signs! We just got a shipment of Biden/Harris yard signs. Come by our Headquarters, 901 East Main Street, to get one. We are open Tuesday and Thursday 4:00-6:30pm and Saturday 10:00am-2:00pm. (We are trying to get signs for other candidates as well.) We also have a number of the large 4’x4’ road signs and are looking for people who can put them in very visible high-traffic locations. When you put signs out please obey the law! Look at the City of Nacogdoches Political Sign Placement Requirements and their cool interactive Right of Ways map. In the County they should be outside of the right of way, which is generally near the fence or tree line. In general, don’t put signs where they would be a traffic safety problem. And ask permission before putting them on private property. But do get them up - signs don’t vote but the people who remember our candidate’s names do!
Upcoming events in the few weeks include:
1. The Nacogdoches County Democratic Party’s Executive Committee will meet on Monday, September 14. Executive Committee members should join at 5:30pm for our half-hour meeting. Others can join a bit before 6:00pm for our monthly Democratic Party meeting; we will bring you in from the waiting room as soon as possible! Join by clicking here: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87612733817?pwd=Yjg2NVhINHN5VjUyK254Ym1FSS9sUT09 or by calling (346) 248-7799 and entering Meeting ID: 876 1273 3817and Passcode: 453438.
2. The TDP’s Voter Expansion team will host a question and answer session about voter registration in apartments. The session will be on Wednesday, September 16, from 3:00-3:30pm. They will go over safety precautions, targeting, and other best practices. Here is the zoom signup link. You must register ahead of time.
3. The TDP’s County Services Department is having a Zoom meeting for Texas Democratic precinct chairs and other activists across the state on Saturday, September 19 at 3:00pm. It will be moderated by the Vice-Chair of the Texas Democratic Party Dr. Carla Brailey and will have MJ Hegar as their special guest. RSVP here. (Fill out their survey before the meeting by going here.)
4. Join the Texas Democratic Party on Saturday, September 19, at 6:00pm for a virtual Judicial Briefing where you will hear from our incredible candidates for statewide judicial office aiming to break the decades long Republican control over Texas courts. Their special guest will be MJ Hegar. Sign up today at txdem.co/JudicialBriefing.
5. On the Chamber of Commerce’s calendar of events is “A Night with our Congressman” on September 21 at 6:30pm at The Legacy in Jacksonville. Anybody know anything about this? Will there be a sighting of our elusive Louie?
6. There will be a drive-through voter registration event on September 23, from 5:00pm to 7:00pm, probably at the Antioch Baptist Church on Greer Street. We will have more details soon.
The first presidential debate is on September 29 in Cleveland, moderated by Fox News anchor Chris Wallace. The second, a town-hall style debate, is on October 15 in Miami, moderated by C-SPAN's Steve Scully. The final presidential debate is on October 22 in Nashville, moderated by NBC's Kristen Welker. The only vice-presidential debate is on October 7 in Salt Lake City, moderated by USA Today’s Susan Page. All of the debates are scheduled to take place from 8:00pm to 9:30pm CDST with no commercial interruptions. Anyone planning (safe) watch parties?
Early Voting will be four days longer this year and that there will be seven different locations, Chireno Community Center, Cushing ISD, Garrison City Office, Sacred Heart Catholic Church, SFA Student Center, and Woden ISD, as well as the Courthouse Annex. There will also be four additional polling places on Election Day. They still need a few more Spanish-speaking poll workers; if you are interested call the elections office at (936) 560-7825.
We have a more Biden/Harris yard signs! We are asking for a $5 donation for each and will (safely) distribute them from our headquarters. First come first serve. We also have buttons, bumper stickers, and our awesome doorhangers with pictures of all of our fine candidates
MJ Hegar’s team is gearing up to get out the vote, starting with volunteer training. As we move into the final weeks of this election, it’s important that we get trained on all the ways we’re organizing to win. So sign up for a volunteer training with Team MJ:
Join Hank Gilbert for “The Hank Show” every Thursday evening at 7:00pm on his Facebook page, where he discusses issues concerning East Texas (and how Louie Gohmert fails us).
Go to Noel Cooper’s website to volunteer to work for his campaign, donate, or just request a yard sign. Help elect Noel to District Judge and get a drug court in Nacogdoches!
Join Connect Texas
ConnectTexas is the best way to volunteer on Texas Democratic Party events. Join by visiting this link. Once you sign in to Slack (the app powering Connect Texas) add yourself to all the channels that you are interested in, especially #EastTexas. They have new phonebanking and texting opportunities available almost every day.
Phonebanking and textbanking opportunities
In addition to the calls organized by Connect Texas here are some additional opportunities:
Become a Texter with Joe Biden for President. Several text training sessions available for September and October! Join this team and directly impact the outcome of the upcoming November 3rd election. Sign up at https://www.mobilize.us/2020victory/event/293967/
Beto O’Rourke’s Powered by People volunteers have reached millions of Texans already and are hoping to reach even more this month. They are looking to you to join them, so sign up to phonebank by clicking here.
Volunteer Deputy Registrar training
Volunteer Deputy Registrars conduct voter drives and assist people with registering to vote. To do this in Nacogdoches county you must be certified by the Election Administrator, Todd Stallings. He will hold classes in the Courthouse Annex, 203 West Main Street, at 5:30pm on September 15. You must register for a class by 1:00pm on the day before the event. Register online here or call (936) 560-7825.
Better Together/Community Café
Over the past couple of years many of us participated in Conversation Café discussions, where the Better Together group listened to our thoughts and concerns regarding mental health, health, wellness, and well-being in Nacogdoches County. They are now asking us to join a Community Listening Session where they talk about what they have heard and ask for our feedback. Given Covid-19 these will be Zoom sessions. Seven sessions are available; those for this week are listed below. To register, click on the hyperlink following the desired session, which will take you to a registration page. Once registered, you will receive an email from Zoom with instructions and a personalized hyperlink (specific to you) for the meeting.
* Wednesday September 16, 5:30-7:00pm
* Thursday September 17, 5:30-7:00pm
Face-to-face classes will be offered this fall, but students will also have the option for distance learning. Classes start on August 24 but most will be remote-only after the Thanksgiving break. SFA has also implementing a face covering requirement. See Open SFA: Guide to Fall 2020 for updated information.
In preparation for the general election in November, the Office of the Dean of Student Affairs has announced the Lumberjacks Vote initiative. That office will train voter registrars across campus and encourage offices to display signage indicating locations where students can register to vote.
Nacogdoches City Council
Nacogdoches City Council will meet at 5:30pm on Tuesday, September 15, via videoconference. Meetings are streamed live at https://www.ci.nacogdoches.tx.us/1200/Channel-21 . To submit comments regarding an agenda item, email email@example.com or call (936) 559-2506.
Nacogdoches County Commissioners
The Nacogdoches County Commissioners Court will meet at 9:00am on Tuesday, September 15, in the Commissioners Courtroom, Suite 170 of the Nacogdoches County Courthouse, 101 West Main Street to vote on the proposed tax rate. Recordings of meetings are posted on the county website.
NISD School Board
The NISD School Board usually meets on the third Thursday of the month. This will be September 17, although this has not been officially announced. The Executive Sessions start at 5:00pm and the Regular Sessions at 6:00pm. These will be virtual meetings using the Zoom app Go to their website for information about participating. Look for notices about special meetings to discuss COVID-related actions that NISD will take.
Major holidays and events in Nacogdoches and elsewhere this year
September Hispanic Heritage Month
14 September.... Executive Committee and Monthly Nac Dem meetings
13-30 October,. Early Voting
Pol. Adv. paid for by
I hope to see you virtually at a number of these events.
901 East Main Street P.O. Box 633961 | Nacogdoches, TX 75961 | 936-221-9686